Major construction work at Gloucestershire’s new Energy from Waste facility is now underway. Piling equipment has arrived on site to install piled foundations to support the major buildings, process equipment and waste bunker. Other site preparation work continues, with construction of the site access road being completed in the next couple of weeks and the temporary construction compound area by the end of the year.
Andrew Bendall, Project Director, Urbaser Balfour Beatty, said:
“With the site preparation works largely complete, we are now into our first phase of heavier construction activities. This is a large build project that requires expert engineering and specialist construction management as we progress through the programme. The team here at Urbaser Balfour Beatty have a wealth of experience in Energy from Waste and other infrastructure projects across the country, and internationally and are bringing their expertise to Gloucestershire. We are continuing to update the wider public on construction progress through our regular Community Liaison Group meetings and a monthly update bulletin.”
At present, over half of residents’ household waste is sent to landfill which costs more than £10million in tax last year. Gloucestershire’s aim is to recycle 70 per cent of its household waste by 2030 with the remaining 30 per cent being treated at the Energy from Waste facility. The facility will generate for export around 14.5 MW of clean electricity which is enough to power 25,000 homes. Compared to landfill, it will save local taxpayers £150 million over the next 25 years.
The facility will create about 300 jobs during construction and around 40 jobs when operational.